The Importance of Art Education in Child Development
How do your learners develop essential cognitive and motor skills? Is the child benefiting from art in school?
Does the national curriculum, exams, SATs, and OFSTED deliver this? What’s your view?
Mothers, parents, and artists use art for skill development. These activities are precarious in some schools.
Art education and child development promote a range of life-skills.
- Fine and motor skills
- Language development
- Decision making
- Visual learning
- Inventiveness and
- Cultural awareness
The benefits of arts-rich activities lead to enhance literacy and mathematical capabilities. These lead to improved academic performance.
Exploratory play, art, and creativity engage the learner's high order thinking abilities.
HIGH ORDER THINKING SKILLS
Art in education helps by nurturing the human experience through emotional literacy.
Successful learning takes account of the learners preferred learning style.
- Visual – Learns best with pictures and images.
- Physical – Using kinaesthetic learning using movement and touch.
- Aural – Using sound and music as the preferred way to learn.
- Verbal – Learns most by using words in speech and writing.
- Social – In groups or through interpersonal exchanges with other people.
- Logical – Using reasoning and logic in mathematical concepts.
- Visual Arts – By developing spatial awareness, dexterity, color, shapes, symmetry, and perspective.
These have implications for successful teaching. Special school staff customize the curriculum to the needs of their pupils. Mainstream schools find this approach difficult to put in place.
Michelle Ayavoro |Director of HerArt CIC | http://www.herart.co.uk/ & Sally Burston
Art pedagogy raises academic achievement, encourages reflection, independence, and collaboration with others. It has direct connections in developing high order thinking.
Art and the expressive arts suffer in our centralized bureaucratic state education system.
Evidence shows that art delivers many pathways to successful learning. Children develop essential cognitive, motor skills, and core developmental processes.
Learning Bibliothèque | Online School
Education Video Portal | Learning Resources Videos | Lesson Plan Videos | School Assembly Videos | Environmental Videos